Wednesday, December 14, 2016

525---Session 13--What the Future Has in Store for Education





Session 12--What the Future Has in Store for Education



Some believe the future will look like more of the same—more smartphones, tablets, screens embedded in every conceivable surface. David Rose has a different vision: technology that atomizes, combining itself with the objects that make up the very fabric of daily living. Such technology will be woven into the background of our environment, enhancing human relationships and channeling desires for omniscience, long life, and creative expression. The enchanted objects of fairy tales and science fiction will enter real life.

No one really has a crystal ball telling us what the future holds. Given that this course's mission was to revolve itself around, and expose you to, technology that can be used to teach the adult learner; and given the fact that the evolution of the tools and resources covered this semester are evolving at an exhausting pace I thought that we would end with 'possibilities...'


We will meet in room 301C Thursday, 12/14 from 4:30-7:30ish at the Providence Campus.  This is a computer lab and will allow you to use the projector to present your Final Projects.  Please review the description on the syllabus to make sure that you are aware of the criteria and guidelines. AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN B in case the tech doesn't work right.

Until then dream...






8 comments:

  1. These enchanted objects are so cool. The life logging camera frightens me! I could really benefit from the enchanted pen however. Recording the lecture as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While these projected devices are spectacular, they still frighten the @&#%!* out of me!! It will be awesome to see what the future holds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to invent the enchanted apple, but someone beat me to it! It really is amazing how we can integrate technology into everyday items, and use those items to (hopefully) improve our quality of life. The "Internet of things" is expanding, and I can see everything being interconnected some day. I think the Amazon Echo with Alexa is a great example of where we may be headed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul it truly is how we can integrate technology; watch out for the self-driving cars!

      Delete
  4. Great ending video to a interesting class.
    I like the enchanted objects but there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. Most likely, its probably because the times are changing at a rapid pace. I was born in the early 60's and I can remember moving from 8-track tapes to cassettes to CD's was considered a big thing. I am glad that I took this class to push me into a globally technological world. Before this class my definition of technology was limited. I now have a better understanding of how to approach open education in a way that is limitless.

    The videos were eye opening. Those gadgets were cool. I think that living in a connected house would take some getting use to but I think it would work out fine.

    As a disadvantage for some of the gadgets that may be created, I think it will make us less sociable and less physically active. But don't get me wrong I'm all in for new and exciting gadgets to hit the market, hopefully at a price that is affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a 60's baby too, Stephanie. I remember getting color tv!! Lol
      Now, we can also include cd to dvd and blue-ray, floppy discs to thumb drives to cloud, desktops to laptops to tablets to smart phone and watches...the list is endless.

      I wonder about the disengagement socially and have really been noticing lately how people are so absorbed in their media in what had formerly been a social setting.

      On a good note, my boss put together a flier today and asked, "Now where do I have to go again to get a picture it is okay to use? This is good to know about." so already there has been productive sharing of knowledge that has had impact.

      Happy Holidays everyone!

      Delete
  5. Tonight's presentations were great. Everyone did a fabulous job!! It was nice to meet those not on the education track FTF. Have a great holiday season.
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job everyone on their presentations. Really loved learning about how you are going to use yours. I am going to try out the polling one on Tuesday with my group. Thanks Dave for your guidance in this course. Take care and blessings to you and all your families.

    ReplyDelete